Private Suite Near The Capitol!
1644 Gales Street NE #B
Washington, DC 20002
Host: Kelley And Summer
$75 x 6 nights $450
Cleaning Fees $10
Airbnb Service Fee $55
Occupancy Taxes* $74
Not sure why we paid $75 per night when the room is advertised at $65, but the room was clean and the price very reasonable for a central location in DC just a 10-15 bus ride from the National Mall.
1) Easy walk to two buses, the X2 which takes you down H Street to the White House and the X8 which goes down Maryland toward the Capitol, terminating at Union Station (for transfers/Metro).
2) There are Safeway and Aldi supermarkets within a 10-minute walk of the house.
3) The room/bath are private and have nearly everything needed for a short stay (microwave/small fridge/Keurig coffee maker).
4) The neighborhood was relatively clean and people in the area were extremely nice, courteous, and helpful.
5) There are numerous diverse and reasonably priced bars and restaurants along Benning/H Street and within a short walk from the location.
6) There is a washer and dryer in the home (see cons) as well as a laundromat just a block away.
7) The wi-fi was fast, free and reliable. Never had a problem connecting, loading pages, or watching video/movies.
8) We were alone in the home the majority of the time, except for Lola (their sweet chihuahua) who kept us company occasionally, and it was relatively quiet (for a big city).
9) Ample parking on the street near the house and we were provided a city parking pass for our entire stay, never moving the car.
10) No TV
1) No Metro in the area and the X8 bus only runs until a little before 10pm, so plan returns wisely.
2) The room/bath are small and there is no place to put clothes. We had to keep everything in our suitcases, storing one under the bed and one on the sofa, leaving only one space on the sofa and the bed on which to sit. If you have a lot of luggage (more than one or two bags), this may not be a good option for you.
3) The neighborhood is a bit on the rough side. The homes in the area are somewhat run-down compared to areas near the Mall and we observed some rather “sketchy” characters (I won’t elaborate on what they were probably doing) around the laundromat two blocks away on Benning. A man we met at a bus stop told us that someone was robbed at gunpoint one evening just two blocks from the house. However, we felt relatively safe and welcome in the area, and were not concerned about our safety, even after dark.
4) We were “discouraged” from doing laundry in the home due to complaints of “high water usage” by Airbnb travelers.
5) We were alone the majority of the time, but it would have been nice to meet both of our hosts (we met Summer on day one for a few minutes), get to know them a little (one of the perks of Airbnb), and get some “local flavor” and tidbits about the area and city.
6) No TV
CombatCritic Gives Kelley And Summer’s Private Suite 7 Bombs Out Of 10
Title: Washington DC: Airbnb – Private Suite Near The Capitol
Key Words: Airbnb, Washington DC, Washington, DC, Kelley, Summer, private, suite, Capitol, US, CombatCritic, TravelValue, travel, value, hotel, accommodation, review, Yelp, TripAdvisor
Translation for Civilians: S&G = “Shits & Grins”